Friday 7 December 2007

Where things are

Thought I should fill people in, on where things are - at this moment in time, some might have seen the progress of these but i thought it would be better to post in here,

First lets start with my ever so small work shop
 
yeah thats it at the moment... theres also a Rotary tool (thanks to BB) the whole lot came to about £40

First Blade, My Custom Folder
Although this came as a kit its undergone quite a bit of modification.

specs: 
Blade: 440 stainless (52-55rc) 
Handle Length: 3 1/2 
Blade Length: 2 1/2 
Overall Length: 6 
Liner lock mechanism 


Thats it when i first slapped it together the fit and finish wernt great at the time

After some work and some pictures it looked like this...   then I got bored lol and decided that I didnt like the bead blasted look so I ripped it apart and decided to change it.

After some hard sanding I got it to this sort of finish



when i put it back together i noticed some things that I didnt like,  they were a little knobbly bit sticking out when in the closed position.  Plus there was a seam between the liners and scales which I thought looked ugly.

After some filing and sanding I got it to this finish 
As you can see the liners and scales look like they are a single piece, I also did inside the liners at this point smoothing them down fully. eg no screws poking through

I also tackled the knobbly, if you look close you can see it in the black background picture in the bottom left corner

Its not really a massive issue for most people but I could feel it and knew it was there so it had to go 


You can clearly see the better finish in that picture, i am just waiting on some 1200 grit sand paper then I will have this folder fully finished.

The Bowie
This is my personal favourite at the moment, its very very difficult due to the design and what i want to do....

Basically, fulltang bowie with vine file worked tang, with bolsters and cocobolo scales. so far I have the filework virtually done, one bolsters shaped the other is getting there.

Aint going to go through all the steps just a few clear ones, as this one I know exactly how it will look when done.

 

This is where I am at now, its going well considering I am doing this between studies and with mainly hand tools

Thanks for looking 

Skipp'

No comments: